11. John Meek was born about 1808 in Pennsylvania. He died 26 Feb 1889 in Polk Co., IA at the age of 81 according to his death certificate. (No other information available from death certificate.)
John came to Iowa about 1847 according to the 1856 Iowa census. He was listed in the 7 Sep 1850 census of Polk Co., IA age 37 PA. Also listed was Sarah A. Meek age 18 KY and Martha A. age 1 IA. Also listed was Margaret Matheson age 10 IN and Reuben Matheson age 8 IN. Listed separately were Mathew Matthewson age 38 NY, Isabella Matthewson age 45 PA, Jane Meek age 18 IN, Margaret Meek age 9 IN and Rueben Meek age 6 IN. There were no other Meek entries for Polk Co., IA.
John was listed in the 1856 Iowa census age 44 PA with Sarah Ann Meek age 25 KY, Martha Ann Meek age 7 IA and three younger children. Also list by order of age was Rueben Meek age 13 IN who lived in Iowa for 9 years as did John and Sarah.
John was listed in the 7 Jul 1860 census of Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA age 47 PA with Sarah A. Meek age 30 and five children. Listed in a different household were Isabella Matterson age 62 PA, Rachel Whitacer age 57 PA, Jane Meek age 25 IN and Rueben Meek age 15 IN.
John was listed in the Jun 1870 census of Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA age 62 PA with Sarah and her children identified by initial only. However, last on the list was Rueben Meek age 26 IN. Listed separately in Des Moines Township was Rachel Whitaker age 64 PA, Reuben Meek age 26 MO and Jennie Meek age 32 IN.
John was listed in the 18 Jun 1880 census of Saylor TWP, Polk Co., IA age 70 PA with both parents also born in Pennsylvania. Sarah and some of her children are also listed. Their son Benjamin is listed separately in a nearby household.
A descendant of Reuben Meek matches a descendant of William Meek born 1805 of DeKalb Co., MO on 35 of 37 Y-DNA markers indicating that they share a common Meek ancestor. The DeKalb Co., MO Meek family came from Fountain Co., IN. Y-DNA alone does not prove how the men tested were related. There is no primary or direct evidence that Reuben was a son of John Meek. The only evidence that John and William were brothers is an unverified family history.
The record, on the one hand, reveals a straight forward story of John Meek coming to Polk Co., IA about 1847, marrying a younger woman named Sarah, raising a family and farming in a northern section of Polk County. The record also provides clues to his origins and presents a confusing set of facts about a possible earlier family. Reuben Meek was related to William Meek of DeKalb Co., MO.
Three unanswered questions come out of this set of data. They are where did John Meek lived before Polk Co., IA, who was his father and what was the relationship between John Meek and Reuben Meek. Traditional, unverified and undocumented genealogies suggests John was the son of David Meek and Mary Bailey. David Meek was the son of George Meek born 1741 and Rachel Herron who lived in Centre Co., PA. The name of George’s children are known from his will. It is believed that David Meek moved to Troy TWP, Fountain Co., IN. However, Y-DNA tests on two possible descendants of David Meek and one possible descendant of Robert Meek born about 1769, a son of George Meek born 1741 do not match. This creates a conflict as the genealogical connections of both David Meek of Fountain Co., IN and Roberts is not proven. Considerably more has been written about David’s brothers some of which is speculative. However, the question for this genealogy concerns David Meek of Fountain Co., IN and his possible descendants.
Some unverified information about David Meek, his ancestors and descendants was obtained from “Meek Ancestry of Mrs. Gertrude (Wider) Davis” Jan 1929 by Cora M. Beach. She credits the names of David Meek’s children to Benjamin Branklin Meek of Clarksdale, MO. (Middle name probably Franklin.) The source for her information about the children is unknown. The children listed were George, Abner, John, Richard, William, Rachel who married David Whitaker, Jane who married John Newell and Polly. The focus of the genealogy was David’s son Richard Meek born about 1804. She wrote of John Meek;
“3. John, who married Martha Johnson in Missouri, and moved to Des Moines, Iowa. His children were Mattie, Dollie, Fannie, Anna, Fae and Benjamin. John took as a homestead the land where part of the city of Des Moines now stands.”The list of John’s children is incomplete and partially incorrect. The source for this information was probably Benjamin Franklin Meek who was a nephew of John. The importance of this quotation is that John lived in Des Moines, IA and that John was a brother of William Meek whom it is known lived in DeKalb Co., MO. This genealogy was written in 1929 and pre-dates a well-known article concerning George Meek and his descendants. The first reference to George Meek and his children appeared as an addendum in a 1902 book by H. B. Meek about a different Meek family. However he only mentioned two of David’s children Abner and William. It does indicate that genealogists were working on the family history that early.
The 1830 census of Fountain Co., IN lists David Meek age 60-69 (0-0-0-3-0-0-0-0-1//1-0-1-0-0-0-0-1), George Meek age 30-39 and possibly Abner Meek. The 1840 census of Fountain Co., IN lists Mary Meek age 70-79 and it is assumed by some that this is Mary the wife of David Meek. Also listed are Abner Meek age 40-49, Richard Meek age 39-39, William Meek age 20-29. In addition Jane Newell age 20-29 is assumed to be a sister. Also listed is Matthew Mattheweson age 30-39 (0-0-1-0-0-1//0-0-0-1-0-1). There were two men named John Meek in Richland Township but this Meek family is believed by this author to be unrelated to the Troy Township Meek family. John Meek’s whereabouts in 1840 is unknown.
William Meek age 45 PA and Richard Meek age 46 PA are listed in the 1850 census of DeKalb Co., MO. Both men had children born in Indiana and Missouri. William was born in Halfmoon TWP, Centre Co., PA according to his obituary in the DeKalb County Herald. This is also mentioned in an article in a Grand River Newspaper. Benjamin Franklin Meek mentioned above was a son of Richard Meek. While family histories can frequently be incorrect there does not appear to be any question that the DeKalb Co., MO Meek family came from Fountain Co., IN.
Returning to Iowa;
In the 1850 census the children Jane Meek age 18, Margaret Meek age 9 and Reuben Meek age 6 reside with Mathew Mathewson and his wife Isabella. Curiously Margaret Matheson age 10 and Reuben Matheson age 8 live with John Meek. The name Reuben Mathewson or variation thereof do not appear after 1850. Reuben Meek appears with John Meek in 1856 and 1870. He appeared with Mathew Mathewson or Isabella Mathewson in 1850 and 1860. In 1870 he appears with Rachel Whitaker who had lived with Isabella in 1860. The name Reuben Meek appears to be entered twice in the 1870 census. By 1880 Reuben is in California.
Hypothesis: Jane Meek, Margaret Meek and Reuben Meek were children of John Meek by an unknown first wife who died prior to 1849 and probably prior to 1847. The children were placed in the care of the Mathewson family. It is noted that there is no primary or direct evidence of John’s first marriage or his relationship with the three children.
In the 1860 census Isabella Mathewson, apparently a widow, is living with Rachel Whitaker. Listed with them is Jane Meek and Reuben Meek. In 1870 Jane and Reuben are with Rachel Whitaker. In 1880 Rachel Whitaker age 79 is in DeKalb Co., MO living with William Meek. The names Mathew Mathewson appear in the 1840 census of Fountain Co., IN along with several men and women named Meek. The Mathew Mathewson move from Fountain Co., IN to Polk Co., IA as well as Rachel Whitaker’s subsequent move to live with William Meek in DeKalb Co., MO appears to tie John Meek of Polk Co., IA to the Meek family in Fountain Co., IN and DeKalb Co., MO.
Hypothesis: John Meek was the brother of Rachel Whitaker, widow of David Whitaker, William Meek and possibly Isabella Mathewson. John, Rachel and William were born in Centre Co., PA.
If Cora Beach’s family history is correct then John Meek was a son of David Meek and brother to William Meek and Rachel Whitaker. But there is little supporting evidence. The Y-DNA for the descendant of Reuben Meek does not answer the question because of the uncertainty of the connection between John and Reuben. However, if it were not for the three children Jane Meek, Margaret Meek and Reuben Meek there would be no evidence to connect John Meek to the Fountain Co., IN/DeKalb Co., MO Meek family.
Reuben was certainly related to the Fountain Co., IN Meek family because his Y-DNA matches that of William Meek. Reuben was enumerated with John Meek in 1950, 1956 and 1970 even if the first one was under the name Mathewson. Margaret is not seen after the 1850 census and Jane is listed with Isabella Mathewson or Rachel Whitaker through 1870. Never-the-less there is clearly some sort of a connection between these three children and John Meek and consequently there was some sort of connection between John and the Fountain Co., IN Meek family.
Whatever that connection John’s exact relationship to Reuben has not established. Even if John is related to the Fountain Co., IN Meek family Reuben’s Y-DNA would be the same if he were the son of any of John’s brothers, uncles or cousins. In addition John could have simply been a family friend who happened to have the same surname. But the evidence suggests John was a widower with children who were farmed out to the Mathewsons. There is no contradictory evidence known at this time.
John married (1) unknown who died before 1848. The three children by this marriage are speculative, use caution.
101. Jane Meek was born about 1832 in Indiana.
102. Margaret Meek was born about 1841 in Indiana.
103. Reuben Meek was born about 1844 in Indiana. *DNA kit #447314 Scroll down
John married (2) Sarah Ann Jones. Her maiden name is given in daughter Dolly's marriage record. She was born about 1831 in Kentucky. John, Sarah and Martha are listed in the 1850 census of Polk Co., IA. His occupation was given as “none”. In 1860 and 1870 the family is listed in Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA. In the 1880 census they are listed in Saylor Township, which is likely the same location as Saylor Township was organized in December of 1870. The following children are tied to John and Sarah by census records.
104. Martha A. Meek was born about 1848 in Iowa. She died Dec 1907 and is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery. She is listed with her parents in the 1880 census at age 31. She married Christian S. Binkley 2 Dec 1888 in Polk Co., IA according to abstracts of marriage records which names her parents. He was born 7 Jul 1833. He died 29 May 1891.
105. Francis Ann Meek was born about 1852 in Iowa. She died 12 Jul 1932 in San Antonio, TX according to her death certificate which names her parents. She was listed with her sister, Matilda, in most census records as single. She was listed in the 1900 census of Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA. She was listed in the 1920 census of Rossville, Shawnee Co., KS. She was listed in the 1925 state census of Wyandotte Co., KS. She was listed in the 1930 census of Des Moines, Polk Co., IA with Talmadge Ashley.
106. Matilda J. Meek was born about 1854 in Iowa. She died Aug 1927 and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. Also known as Jennie Ashley. She was listed Matilda J. Meek in the 1880 census as single living with her parents. She married William M. Ashley 27 Oct 1881 in Polk Co., IA according to abstracts of marriage records. He died or absconded before 1893. She was listed as Mrs. Jennie Ashley in the 1893 City Directory of Des Moines and Jennie Ashley (widow of James) in the 1897 City Directory of Des Moines. She was listed in the 1900 census of Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA. She was listed in the 1910 census of Ward 3 Des Moines, Polk Co., IA. She was listed in the 1920 census of Rossville, Shawnee Co., KS. She was listed in the 1925 state census of Wyandotte Co., KS. Note: She may be the same person Jane Meek, age 15, who married Fille Dove 19 Aug 1869 in Polk Co., IA, Jane's father was named John Meek in the marriage abstracts. They were listed in the 1870 census of Saylor TWP, Polk Co., IA.Son: Talmadge B. Ashley born 14 Dec 1882107. Benjamin Meek was born about 1856 in Polk Po., IA. He was listed in the 1880 census of Saylor TWP, Polk Co., IA taken in Jun 18th. He was single and a farmer. He was listed in the 1895 Iowa census as age 39, single, born in Polk County, farmer, and living in Mt Pleasant.
108. John W. Meek was born about 1858 in Iowa. He does not appear to be with his parents in the 1870 census.
109. Rachel I. Meek was born about 1861 in Iowa. She is assumed to have used the name Dolly Meek her entire adult live. Dolly died 8 Apr 1937 in San Antonio, TX according to her death certificate which names her parents. She was listed in the 1870 census as "R" Meek with her parents. She was listed in the 1880 census as Rachel I. Meek with her parents. Neither census had a daughter named Dolly born in the early 1860's. Dolly Meek age 36 was listed in the 1900 census of Lee TWP, Polk Co., IA living with Jennie Ashley and her sister Fannie. Dolly Meek married John C. Hedges 3 Jan 1901 in Polk Co., IA according to marriage records which name her parents. They were listed in the 1925 census of Des Moines, IA. They were listed in the 1930 census of Des Moines living with Talmadge Ashley and Francis A. Meek age 75.
200. Eliza May Meek was born about 1862 in Iowa. She died 31 Mar 1898 in Polk Co., IA according to her probate records. Her sister, Dolly, gave a statement concerning the date and place of death. Her will was dated 15 Feb 1898 in Polk Co., IA. It was probated 12 Apr 1898. Jennie Ashley was appointed Executrix. Fannie Meek and Scott Ozmun were listed as beneficiaries. Dollie Meek was a witness. She married Clark Scott Ozmun 24 May 1896 in Polk Co., IA according to abstracts of marriage records which name her parents.
201. Henry Dick was born Jul 1881. He died 30 Apr 1926 in Siskiyou, CA.Information provided in part by Lois Meek Andersen, Marilyn Krell and Larry Meek
202. Luvisa A. Dick was born Feb 1883.
203. Rupert W. Dick was born Mar 1884.
204. Ruth Emily Meek was born 8 Jun 1890. She died 20 Dec 1911 in Siskiyou, CA.
205. Frank Craig Meek was born 11 Jul 1892 in Boulder Creek, CA. He died 17 May 1959 in Siskiyou, CA. He married Eunice Sillivan. She was born about 1899.
206. Clarence Rambo Meek was born 1 Jan 1894 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co., CA. He died 5 Oct 1976 at Yreka, CA. He married Maybelle J. Henry. She was born about 1899. She died in 1930.301. Edgar Clarence Meek was born 25 Jan 1921 in Gazelle, Siskiyou Co., CA. He died 2 May 2009 in Yreka, CA. He married Berneice Virginia Johnson. She was born 31 Oct 1920 in Ohio. She died 17 Jan 2002 in Yreka, CA.207. Reuben Mathewson Meek was born 20 Sep 1896. He died 7 Mar 1972 in Siskiyou Co., CA. He was listed in the 1930 census with his mother. He married Ella Audrey Hammond401. Female meek
402. Leslie Paul Meek was born 10 Mar 1944. He died 20 Jun 1960.
403. Robert Clarence Meek was born 6 Feb 1948. He died 7 Mar 1963 in Oregon.
208. Gerald Cunningham Meek was born 17 Mar 1899 in Santa Cruz, CA. He died 8 Dec 1979 in Yreka, Siskiyou Co., CA. He married Marvel Raethe Cousino. She was born 29 Aug 1900. She died 30 Jan 1988. They were listed in the 1930 census of Edgewood, Siskiyou Co., CA.311. Ruth G. Meek was born 20 Jan 1919 in Siskiyou Co., CA. She died 18 Jul 1997 in Siskiyou Co., CA. She married Clarence Samuel Middleton 10 Jun 1937. This is the family of Daniel Rudolph.
312. Irving Ward Meek was born 9 Feb 1921 in Edgewood, Siskiyou Co., CA. He died 26 Aug 1984 in Etna, Siskiyou Co., CA. He married Maxine Freshour.
313. Franklin Eugene Meek was born 10 Nov 1922 in Siskiyou Co., CA. He died 21 May 2013 Siskiyou Co., CA. He married (1) Iola D. George.
314. Ruben Wayne Meek was born 25 Sep 1928 in in Siskiyou Co., CA. He died 13 Sep 2011.
315. Donald Meek *DNA kit #447314
316. Babe Arlene Meek was born 17 May 1938. She died 18 Sep 1966. She married Wayne Dishman.
1850 IA Polk Co. 7 Sep 547 569 Meek, John M 37 PA Occupation “None” 1813 Sarah A. F 18 KY 1832 Martha A. F 1 IA 1849 Matheson, Margaret F 10 IN 1840 Rueben M 8 IN 1842 1850 IA Polk Co. Ft. Des Moines 23 Aug 207 217 Matthewson, Mathew M 38 NY Occupation “Plasterer” Isabella F 45 PA Meek, Jane F 18 IN 1832 Margaret F 9 IN 1841 Rueben M 6 IN 1844 1856 IA census Meek, John 44 M 1-9 PA Farmer Sarah Ann 25 F 1-9 KY Rueben 13 M 9 Ind Martha Ann 7 F 7 IA Francis 5 F 5 Matilda 2 F 2 Benjamin 0 M 0 1860 IA Polk Co. Lee TWP 7 July 1257 1145 Meek, John M 47 PA 1812 Sarah A. F 30 IN Martha A. F 12 IA Francis A. F 9 IA Matilda J. F 6 IA Benjamin M 4 IA John W. M 2 IA 1860 IA Polk Co. Des Moines TWP 11 June Matterson, Isabella F 62 PA Whitacer, Rachel F 57 PA Jane Meek F 25 IN 1833 Rueben M 15 IN 1844 1870 IA Polk Co. Lee TWP June Meek, John M 62 PA 1808 S. A. F 40 KY M F 20 IA F F 18 IA J. F 16 IA B M 14 IA R F 11 IA E F 1 Rueben M 26 IN 1844 1870 IA Polk Co. Des Moines, Ward 4 11 August Whitaker, Rachel F 64 PA Meek, Rueben M 26 MO (1844) Jennie F 32 IN (1838) 1880 IA Polk Co. Saylor TWP 50 50 Jun 18th Meek, John M 70 PA PA PA 1810 Sarah F 49 KY KY VA Martha F 31 IA Francis F 28 IA Matilda J. F 26 IA Rachel W. F 19 IA Eliza F 18 IA 45 55 Meek, Benjamin M 24 IA PA PA
1840 Troy TWP, Fountain Co., IN
Mary Meek age 70-79 (0-0-0-0-0-0-1--0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-1)
Abner Meek age 40-49 (0-0-0-1-1-0-1—0-0-1-2-1-0-1)
Richard Meek age 30-39 (1-0-0-0-0-1—1-0-0-0-1)
William Meek age 20-29 (0-0-0-0-1—0-0-0-1)
Jane Newell age 20-29, (0-0-0-0—1-1-0-0-1)
Matthew Matthewson age 30-39 (0-0-1-0-0-1//0-0-0-1-0-1)
Rachel Whitaker ?
1840 Richland TWP, Fountain Co., IN (may be unrelated to those above)
John Meek Sn age 60-69 (0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-1—0-0-0-1-1-0-0-1)
John G. Meek age 20-29 (1-0-0-0-1—0-1-0-0-1)
Daniel Meek age 20-29 (2-0-0-0-1—0-0-0-0-1)