11. Edward Meeks was born 10 May 1680. He died about 1768 in New York. He married Maria Kortwright 1 Jun 1708 in New York. Information reported in several genealogies published by the Sons of the American Revolution and may not be correct.
- 101. Joseph Meeks was born 31 Dec 1710 (or 09) in New York. He died 6 Oct 1782 in New York. He married Sarah Reade. Information reported in several genealogies published by the Sons of the American Revolution and may not be correct.
- 201. John Meeks was born 18 Aug 1739. He died 17 Feb 1817 in New York. He married Susanne Helene de Moulinars (spelling varies) 1 May 1767 in New York. She was born about 1745. Her father was Rev. John Joseph de Moulinars of New Rochelle. (She was mentioned in his will dated 1 Oct 1741 and proved 13 Oct 1741.) John was a Captain under Colonel William Malcolm during the Revolution and Susanne was an interpreter for General Lafayette.
- 301. John Meeks was born 1768.
- 302. Joseph Meeks was born 5 Sep 1771 in New York City. He died 21 Jul 1868 in New York City. He married Sarah Clark Van Dyke 27 Jul 1800 in New Jersey. She was born 25 May 1783 in New York. She died 15 Feb 1865 in New York. They were listed in the 28 Aug 1850 census of Ward 5, New York, NY. Joseph was a well-known furniture maker from 1797 and was discussed in newspaper articles. Children are taken from abstract of will proved 15 Feb 1869, Lib. 173, p. 3899.
- 401. Edward Meeks
- 402. Washington Meeks may be the following person.Washington Meeks was born 18 Jun 1818 in New York. In 1849 he sailed for California. Meeks made several fortunes mining, but lost in other ventures. Later he engaged in the practice of law. He died 8 Apr 1906 at San Francisco, CA. He married Mary Jane Boyd. Source:Obituary
- 403. John Meeks was born 17 May 1801. He died 12 Oct 1875 in New Jersey. He married Elizabeth B. Bush (source unknown) on July 1, 1834 in New York. He was a partner in father’s furniture company.
- A. Hamilton Victor Meeks was born 19 Dec 1851 in New York City, NY according to his passport application. He married Euretta Eleanor Gardner 4 Nov 1874. She was the daughter of Robert E. Gardner.
- 1. Howard Victor Meeks was born 11 Apr 1878 in New Jersey. He married Ethel Boon.
- 2. Euretta Eleanor Meeks was born about 1853 in New Jersey.
- 3. Clarence Gardner Meeks was born 14 Jul 1880 in New Jersey. He died 28 September 1954 in New York City He married Lillian Bennett 5 Oct 1901
- 1. Hamilton Bennett Meeks was born 10 Jul 1902.
- 2. Elizabeth Evelyn Meeks was born 23 Dec 1905 in New Jersey. She married Rufus C. Young.
- 3. Clarence Gardner Meeks was born 1 Jan 1908.
- 1. Drew Meeks *Y-DNA Kit#399429 - Group B
- B. Octavius Warren Meeks was born 3 Oct 1876 in New York.
- 404. Sarah Clark Meeks was born about 1802.
- 405. Joseph William Meeks was born 4 Dec 1805 in New York. He died 1 Mar 1878 In New York City. He married Sophia T. Vidal. She was born about 1809 in New York. She died 18 Feb 1895 in Islip, Suffolk Co., NY. He was a partner in father’s furniture company. They were listed in the 1850 and 1860 census of New York City, NY. They were listed in the 1870 census of Islip, Suffolk Co., NY.
- 501. Joseph W. Meek was born 18 Apr 1834 in New York, NY according to his passport. He died 23 Apr 1897 in St. Augustine, FL. He enlisted in 1861 and was separated 21 Dec 1862. He married Catherine Lillian _______. She was born about 1837 in Ireland. She died 21 Jan 1915 in Sayville, NY.
- 502. Sophia S. Meeks was born about 1836 in New York.
- 503. Albert V. Meeks was born 29 Apr 1839 in New York according to his passport. He died 25 Aug 1889 according to his obituary. He married Sarah Anna Diehl 22 Feb 1864 in New York City. She was born 23 Dec 1842 in Lower Saucon, Northampton Co., PA. She died 5 Sep 1918.
- 601. Edward J. Meeks was born about 1865.
- 602. Harold Albert Meeks was born 27 Jul 1868 New Jersey
- 701. Albert Austin Meeks was born 8 Aug 1897 in Connecticut.
- 801. Harold Meeks
- 901. Charles Austin Meeks
- 1001. Joseph Meeks DNA Kit# B2828 - No Y-DNA.
- 603. Arthur D. Meeks was born about 1871.
- 604. Everett Victor Meeks was born about 1879.
- 504. Edmund Meeks was born about 1842 in New York.
- 505. Emma Meeks was born about 1845 in New York.
- 506. Herbert Meek was born about 1851 in New York.
- 406. Theodore Meeks was born 25 Dec 1814. He died 7 Mar 1904 in New Orleans, LA. He managed the New Orleans family business. He married Maria _____. They were listed in the 1880 census of New Orleans.
- 511. Francis Meeks was born about 1840. She married _____ Cormier. She is listed with her parents in 1880 as a widow.
- 407. William Henry Meeks was born 21 Jun 1820 in New York. He died 28 Jun 1893 in New York. He married Josephine Lattan 4 Aug 1850 in New York. They were listed in the 28 Jun 1850 census of New York, NY living with his father. They were listed in the 1860 census of New York City, NY.
- 521. Josephine Meeks was born about 1851 in New York.
- 522. Alice Meeks was born about 1854 in New York.
- 523. Grace Meeks was born about 1856 in New York.
- 524. William Meeks was born about Sep 1849 in New York.
- 526. Alfred Meeks was born 22 Jul 1860 in New York. He died 11 Mar 1952.
- 408. Alfred Meeks was born about 1822 in New York. He was listed with parents in the 1850 census.
- 409. Francis Meeks
- 410. Ichinfer Meeks
- 303. Edward Meeks was born 10 Feb 1776 in New York. He died 24 Aug 1852 at Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY. He married Susannah Cooper 22 Oct 1796 in New York. She was born 4 Apr 1780. She died 24 Aug 1852. (She was the daughter of Cornelious Cooper and Hannah Newton.) They were listed in the 1850 census of Brooklyn, NY.
- 421. Maria Meeks was born 22 Apr 1798 in New York, NY. She died 19 Sep 1818 in New York.
- 422. Edward Meeks was born 16 May 1800 in New York, NY. He died 4 Aug 1828 in New York.
- 423. Robert Smelt Meeks was born 10 Feb 1803 in New York, NY. He died 2 May 1890. He married Brigida Fernandez de Antezana.
- 424. William Meeks was born 22 Apr 1805 in New York, NY. He died 25 Jul 1807.
- 425. James Cooper Meeks was born 22 Aug 1807 in Brooklyn, Kings Co, NY. He died 24 Jun 1854 in Brooklyn. He married Sarah Ann Harrison17 May 1830 in New York City.
- 531. Zillah C Meeks 1832 – 1903
- 532. Laura Susan Meeks 1834 – 1921
- 533. Mary E Meeks 1835 – 1918
James married (2) Harriet Barry 13 Apr 1842 in New York.
- 534. Edward Meeks 1843 – 1919
- 535. James Cooper Meeks 1845 – 1920
- 536. John Barry Meeks 1846 – 1904
- 537. William Newton Meeks 1848 – 1878
- 538. Anna B Meeks 1851 – 1881
- 539. Josephine Barry Meeks 1854 – 1932
- 426. Susan M. Meeks was born 27 Jan 1810 in New York. She died 23May 1880 in New York.
- 427. Eliza Marsh Meeks was born 11 Oct 1813 in New York. She died 17 Oct 1872. She married Elias Osborn.
- 428. Cornelia Cooper Meeks was born 23 jan 1817 in New york. He died 21 Jun 1878.
- 429. Harriet Newell Meeks was born 2 Apr 1819 in New York. She died 31 May 1866.
- 430. William Newton Meeks was born 12 Jan 1821 in New York City. He died about 1897 in California. He married Abbie Livia Martha Davis 7 Jun 1860 in San Francisco, CA. They were listed in the 1870 census of Oakland, Alameda Co., CA. William was listed in the 1880 census of Oakland, Alameda Co., CA as a widower and with the same children.
- 541. Edward Meeks was born about 1862 in California.
- 542. Constance Meeks was born about 1863 in California.
- 543. William V. Meeks was born about 1864 in California.
- 544. Blanch Meeks was born about 1866 in California.
Disclaimer: This genealogy was prepared by the author using undocumented and/or unverified sources. Some facts presented here MAY NOT be correct. Never accept as factual any information you find in a library, the Internet or from other genealogist unless it is supported by documentation. Documentation DOES NOT include the undocumented genealogies of other people including those on this web site.
The earliest record of a person named Meek has been reported as;
Edward Meeks was granted a license to sell wine and other liquors in New York City on 14 May 1680, according to the Minutes of the Common Council of the city of New York 1675-1775, vol 1, page 81.The early generations of the Meeks family in New York are poorly documented and often conflicting. There was a Meeks family in Westchester and Putnam Counties. Whether they are connected to the New York City family is unclear.
Edward Meeks born 1665 in England (source unknown). He died Aug 1689 in Spuyten Duyvil, NY. He married Sarah Merrett.
Internet Antique Gazette
Meeks Furniture Makers
The Meeks family firm had been in business at least forty years in New York by the time that Belter and Hunzinger arrived on the island of Manhattan. This furniture making company went through four distinct phases, always successful and always in family hands. Joseph Meeks (born in New York or New Jersey) ran the company from 1797 to 1828 under his own name, his two sons joined him from 1829 to 1835 (Joseph Meeks & Sons), the sons took over the business from 1836 to 1859 (J. and J.W. Meeks, for John and Joseph W.), and then from 1859 to 1869 it was run by Joseph Meeks’s grandson and then closed.
It is worth noting that this firm, unlike Belter’s or Hunzinger’s, earned its fame simply by providing well-built, moderately priced furniture. The Meeks firm did not pride itself on innovation, patents or setting the style of the day. Rather, they gave the public what it wanted when it wanted it. This strategy kept them in business through many stylistic changes for seventy-two years.
The third period, when Joseph W. and John ran the firm, is when it expanded most rapidly with clients from north to south. The Meeks firm was a clear competitor to Belter’s, and their products were often, but not exclusively, in the Rococo Revival style. Although it is difficult to generalize, Meeks furniture typically has fewer layers of lamination than Belter produced pieces, and the silhouette can be more pointed, rather than rounded. Many scholars believe that many pieces attributed to Belter are in fact Meeks. Because the Meeks name is somewhat less known than Belter in the general market, a labeled Meeks piece will almost certainly bring less than a labeled Belter, although quality may be comparable.
Nineteenth Century New York was then – as it is now – the style capital of the United States, and there was room for all comers. The German immigrants, bringing their innovative production techniques and an eye for European style, were well represented by John Belter and George Hunzinger. The Meeks firm was a worthy, home grown competitor to these innovators.
Reference note by p4A.com Contributing Editor Jan W. Hack
Left will proved 15 February 1869, LIb. 173, p. 3899, Surrogate's Court, City and County of New York in which he mentioned his surviving children. From Antiques Magazine article May 2002: Joseph Meeks's will identifies his surviving children as: Francis; I. Cynthia S. Campbell (wife of Samuel Campbell; see n, 39); John; Joseph W.; Sarah C. King (wife of Noah King); Theodore; Washington; and William H. (will of Joseph Meeks, proved February 15, 1869, liber 173, p. 389, Surrogate's Court, City and County of New York). John Meeks was born on May 13, 1801, in New York; married Elizabeth B. Bush (1811-1888) on July 1, 1834, at the Eighth Presbyterian Church in New York City; and died at the age of seventy-four on October 12, 1875, in Saratoga, New York. See headstone inscription for John Meeks, Green-Wood Cemetery, Lot 2592; burial records for John Meeks, Green-Wood Cemetery, Lot 2592; and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Marriage Records" [CD-ROM program], batch M539031, 1819-1842, call no. 1313853, available from New York Family History Center, New York City Joseph William Meeks was born on December 4, 1805, in New York City; married Sophia Vidal (1808-1895) on October 22, 1828 , at the Vandewater Street Presbyterian Church in New York City; and died in New York City on March 1, 1878, at the age of seventy-two. See headstone inscription for Joseph W. Meeks, Green-Wood Cemetery, Lot 2592; burial records for Joseph W. Meeks. Green-Wood Cemetery, Lot 2592; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Marriage Records" [CD-ROM Program], batch M523751, 1823-1829, call no. 504307; and certificate of death for Joseph William Meeks, March 1, 1878 (no. 285743, Health Department of the City of New York, Surrogate's Court, City and County of New York).