11. Samuel Meek was born about 1788 in Tennessee. Samuel was listed in the 1850 and 1860 censuses of Wayne Co., KY. Samuel may or MAY NOT be the same person listed in the 1820 census of Pulaski County (0-0-0-0-1-0-4-1-0-1-0), the 1830 census of Russell County (0-0-0-1-0-0-1/0-0-2-3-0-0-1) and/or the 1840 census Pulaski County (0-0-0-0-0-0-1//1-0-0-1-2-0-1). That person does not appear to have had any sons born before 1840. The one entry in the 1830 census of a male born between 1810 and 1814 should have appeared in the 1820 census if he were a son unless he was born in 1820 after the census and his age was reported incorrectly in 1830.
He married (1) unknown. If she were the oldest female in the census she was born between 1790 and 1799. She apparently died after 1840. Census records indicate that he may have had as many as 5 to 6 daughters. Three would have been born between 1810 and 1814 and two between 1815 and 1819.
Samuel married (2) Polly Ann Buttram 13 Jan 1845 in Wayne Co., KY. She was born about 1825 in Kentucky. She died and the children were farmed out to other families. Samuel was listed in the 1850 census of Wayne Co., KY with Polly, Samuel Meeks age 3 and James McLendon age 9. Samuel was listed in the 1860 census Wayne Co., KY without Polly or Samuel. Also listed were King Solomon Meeks age 11, Viana Meeks age 5 and Susanah Meeks age 40.
Y-DNA implications: A single descendant of Samuel Meek born 1845 (#601 below) has a Y-DNA test which indicates that he is related to ancestors in Group C of the Meek DNA Project. Additional participants are required to understand the significance for the entire tree.
Family history list the children of Samuel Meeks and Polly Ann Buttram.
- 111. Samuel Meeks was born 27 Jul 1845 in Wayne Co., KY. according to his death certificate and the 1900 census. His pension application says his birth date was 28 Jul 1846. He died 6 May 1925 in Cynthiana, Harrison Co., KY. According to his death certificate his fatherís name was Samuel Meeks born TN and his motherís name was Vian Betram born Tennessee. This document also ties him to Wayne county where the Meeks were associated with the Harris family. Samuel was listed in the 1860 census of Wayne Co., KY living with George Rogers. Samuel was listed in the 1870 census of Madison Co., KY living with Ann Harris and her children including Sallie who married Samuel. He married Sarah Elizabeth Harris 22 Mar 1870 in Madison Co., KY. She was born Jan 1849 the daughter of Anderson R. Harris and Anna S. Horton. They were listed in the 1880 to 1920 censuses of Madison Co., KY.
Children from 1880 and 1900 censuses
- 201. Nannie Meeks was born 15 Jan 1870 in Kentucky.
- 202. Harris Meeks was born 23 Apr 1872 in Kentucky. He died 24 Jan 1939 in Butler Co., OH. He married Tabitha Elizabeth Price. They were listed in the 1910 census of Madison Co., OH. They were listed in the 1930 census of Montgomery Co., OH.
- 301. Mertle Meeks was born about 1898.
- 302. Helen Meeks was born about 1900.
- 303. Glenn Meeks was born about 1905.
- 304. Ellman Meeks was born about 1905.
- 203. May Meeks was born 20 Mar 1873 in Kentucky.
- 204. Mattie Meeks was born 28 Nov 1875 in Kentucky.
- 205. Judith Meeks was born 22 Mar 1877 in Kentucky.
- 206. Anna Meeks was born 10 Dec 1878 in Kentucky.
- 207. Charles Anderson Meeks was born 18 Oct 1881 in Kentucky. He died 18 Mar 1965 at Xenia, OH. He married Lucinda Terry Burton about 1902. They were listed in the 1910 to 1920 censuses of Burnam, Madison Co., KY. They were listed in the 1930 census of Montgomery Co., OH. They were listed in the 1940 census of Clear Creek TWP, Warren Co., OH.
- 311. Edmond Morris Meeks was born about 1905 in Kentucky. He died 27 Mar 1959 in Dayton, Madison Co., OH. He was listed in the 1920 census with his parents. He married Elizabeth _______. They were listed in the 1930 census with his parents. They were listed in the 1940 census living next to his parents. His occupation was waiter.
- 401. Lucille Meeks was born about 1923 in Kentucky.
- 402. Edward Anderson Meeks was born about 1927 in Ohio.
- 501. Douglas Charles Meeks was born 1949. He married Rebecca Sue _____.
- 601. Blake Andrew Meeks was born in 1978. DNA Kit#314446
- 602. Brett Meeks b 1984 was born in 1984.
- 603. Karah Leslie Meeks
- 403. Mildred J. Meeks was born about 1929 in Ohio.
- 404. Florance Meeks was born about 1931 in Ohio.
- 405. Grace Meeks was born about 1933 in Ohio.
- 208. Carrie Meeks was born Dec 1882 in Kentucky.
- 209. John Duncan Meeks was born 15 Mar 1884 in Kentucky. His draft says 16 Mar 1883. He died 5 Oct 1945 in Randolph Co., IN. He married Etta _______. She was born about 1893 according to the 1910 census but other records give different information. Despite her age this was her second marriage and she had 2 children named Clay and Willie West. They were listed in the 1910 census of Pulaski Co., KY living with his uncle King Meeks. They were listed in the 1920 census of Madison Co., KY. They were listed in the 1930 census of Butler Co., OH.
- 321. Emma Meeks was born about 1910.
- 322. Charley Meeks was born about 1912.
- 323. Thomas Meeks was born about 1914.
- 324. Dexter Meeks was born about 1917.
- 325. Anna B Meeks was born about 1919.
- 326. Marie Meeks was born about 1921.
- 327. Robert Meeks was born about 1923.
- 328. Irene Meeks was born about 1927.
- 210. Sarah Elizabeth Meeks was born 17 Sep 1888 in Kentucky.
- 211. Samuel Meeks was born Dec 1891 in Kentucky. He married Mary _______. She was born about 1905 in He was listed in the 1920 census with his father. They were listed in the 1930 census of Butler Co., OH. They were listed in the 1940 census of Madison Co., KY.
- 331. Earl Meeks was born about 1921 in Kentucky.
- 332. Samuel Meeks was born about 1923 in Kentucky.
- 333. Glenmore Meeks was born about 1925 in Ohio.
- 334. Mae Meeks was born about 1927 in Oho.
- 335. Jackie Meeks was born about 1930 in Ohio.
- 336. Philmore Meeks was born about 1935 in Kentucky.
- 337. Russell Meeks was born about 1939 in Kentucky.
- 212. Daisy Meeks was born Dec 1892 in Kentucky.
- 113. Vianna Meeks was born about 1855 in Kentucky. She died 1 Apr 1923 in Metcalf Co., KY. She married Theopolis Penington. They were listed in the 1880 census of Wayne Co., KY.
- 113. King Solomon William Meeks was born Feb 1856 in Kentucky according to the 1900 census of Pulaski Co., KY. He was listed with Samuel Meeks in the 1860 census at age 11. He married Mary _____. She was born about 1862 KY. They were listed in the 1900 census of Pulaski Co., KY. Also listed was Rebecca Meek, mother, born Feb 1829 KY. They were listed in the 1910 census of Pulaski Co., KY.
King Meeks 1900 census gives his DOB as Feb 1856 and lists his mother as Rebeca Meek b: Feb 1829 The 1910 census gives his age as 51 for a DOB of 1859. This calls into question his age of 11 in the 1860 census. Samuel's wife Polly died sometime after the 1850 census. Therefore it is possible for him to have a mother other than Polly. Who was Rebecca Meeks?
- 221. Roda A. Meeks was born about 1868 in Kentucky.
- 222. Elissa Meeks was born about 1870 in Kentucky.
- 223. Elisha Meeks was born about 1875 in Kentucky.
- 224. Etta J. Meeks was born Jul 1893 in Kentucky. She married John D. Meek born about 1885 in Kentucky. They were listed in the 1910 census of Pulaski Co., KY living with King Meek. Etta is listed as a daughter in 1900 and a daughter-in-law in 1910. The relationships of Wtta and her husband John D. Meeks is probably reversed in the 1910 census.
- 225. William M. Meeks date of birth uncertain.
Notes and census records:
1850 Wayne Co., KY 1850 Wayne Co., KY 1860 Wayne Co., KY 130-134 Div 2 131-135 Div 2 221-220 Charles Harries 58 TN Samuel Meeks 61 ? Samuel Meeks 72 TN Elizabeth Harris 45 KY Polly Meeks 25 KY King Solomon Meeks 11 KY Harris children James M McLendon 9 KY Viana Meeks 5 KY Patsy Harris 30 KY Samuel Meeks 3 KY Susanah Meeks 40 KY Zacharriah Meeks 21 KY 58-58 Div 2 1860 Wayne Co., KY Mary Jones 70 VA George Rogers 39 KY Joshua S Jones 27 KY Mahala Rogers 36 KY Susannah Meeks 35 KY Sampson D Foster 19 KY Samuel Meeks 13 KY
Who was Susanah born about 1815 living with Samuel?
She may have been Susannah Meeks age 35 in the the 1850 census of Wayne County living with Mary Jones age 70. She was listed in the 1870 census of Wayne Co., KY at age 56 living with George and Mahala Rogers. Also listed was Samuel Meeks age 13
Was Mahala Rogers a daughter of Samuel?
Living next to George Rogers in 1870 was Hiram Meeks age 32. In 1900 Hiram was listed as High Meeks and was living next to King Meeks.
Who was Hiram Meeks born about 1838?
1870 Wayne Co., KY 1880 Wayne Co., KY 107-107 108-108 8-8 George Rogers 49 KY Hiram Meeks 32 KY Theopolis Penington 22 KY Mahala 46 KY Elizabeth Meeks 29 KY Vianna 25 KY Viana Meeks 15 KY George B. Meeks 3 KY John E. 1 KY Susanah Meeks 56 KY Elizabeth Meeks 1 KY Nancy 5 KY Roda A. Meeks 13 KY neice
1880 Monticello, Wayne Co., KY 37-37 215-215 King Meek 26 KY KY KY Hiram Meeks 43 KY KY KY Leander Meek 27 VA VA VA Elizabeth 40 KY Roda A. Meek 12 KY ? B. male 13 (George B.) Elissa J. Meek 10 KY James E. 7 Elisha Meek 5 KY Sophrona 4 Huff, Easter 70 VA VA VA 1900 Pulaski Co., KY 130-132 131-133 King Meeks Feb 1856 KY High Meeks Mar 1835 KY Mary Mar 1852 KY Easter E. Mar 1839 Etta J. Jul 1893 KY Fronie May 1875 KY William M. Aug 1885 KY Samuel Apr 1879 KY Rebeca Meeks Feb 1829 Sallie Dec 1880 KY Mother KY AL AL William Dec 1885 KY
1910 Pulaski Co., KY Meeks, King Head 51 KY M3 10 Meeks, Mary Wife 58 KY M2 10 11-7 West, Clay Step son 21 KY West, Willie Step son 12 S Meeks, John D. son 21 M1 2 Meeks, Etta D-I-L 17 M1 2 1-1
Hiram Meeks was born about 1835 in Kentucky. He married Elizabeth Wright. They were listed in the 1870 and 1880 censuses of Monticello, Wayne Co., KY. They were listed in the 1900 census of Pulaski Co., KY.
George B. Meeks was born 26 Aug 1868. He died 18 Mar 1939 in Shelby Co., KY. His death certificate names his parents as Hiram Meeks and Elizabeth Wright.
James E. Meeks was born about 1873.
Sofronia "Fronie" Meeks was born about 1875 in Kentucky. She died 27 Nov 1931 according to her death certificate. She married Milton Mason. Her death certificate names her parents as High Meeks and Sallie Wright.
Samuel L. Meeks was born about 1879. His death certificate names his parents as Hain Meeks and Elizabeth Wright. See this page for more information. A single Y-DNA test for descendant does not match #601 above or any other person named Meek(s) who has been tested.
Sallie Meeks was born about 1880.
William Meeks was born about 1885. He died 5 Jan 1935 in Russell Co., KY. His death certificate names his father as Hi Meeks.
Zachariah Meeks was born about 1829 in Kentucky according to traditional genealogies.
His date of birth has been based on the 1850 census of Wayne Co., KY which is the only
known record of him.
He was living with the Charles Harris family in 1850 as was Patsy Harris AKA Martha Harris age 30 (in 1850).
In 1860 Martha Meeks is listed with her three sons but without Zachariah still in
Charles Harrisís household at age 45.
In 1870 she is living on her own in Wayne County with two sons.
Issue: The 1850 census can easily be interpreted that Zachariah was 2 years of age rather
than 21. Martha's son Thomas left a death certificate in which the father's name was
unknown and the mother's maiden name was Martha Meeks.
Martha's son James' death certificate said
his father was Charley Harris and his mother's maiden name was Meeks.
James was married under the name Harris and was also recorded in the 1880 census as
This is a very confusing situation with no apparent solution.
Martha's son Thomas had a granddaughter named Vianna which suggests a connection to Samuel Meek born 1788. In addition Martha lived next to Samuel in the 1850 census.
Andrew Jackson Meeks was born about 1850 in Kentucky. He resided with his nephew, Carl Meeks, in 1920.
Thomas Meeks was born about 1852 in Kentucky. He died 25 Nov 1932 in Russell Co., KY. The informant on his death certificate said the father's name was Charley Harris and said the mother's maiden name was Meeks. He married Nancy ______. They were listed in the 1880 census of Wayne Co., KY.Thos. Meek 28James Meeks was born about 1854 in Kentucky. He died 26 Jun 1911 in Wayne Co., KY. The informant on his death certificate did not know the father's name and said the mother's maiden name was Martha Meeks. He married Morning Eveline McQueary 5 Mar 1874 according to marriage records which give his name as James Harris.
Nancy Meek 25
Vianna Meek 6
Martha J. Meek 4
Mehaly Meek 2
M. J. Meek 61In 1880 James is listed as James Harris.
James C. Harris 34
Mournin E. Harris 21
Mary A. Harris 4
Willim A. Harris 2
1900 Russell Co., KY
James Meeks 57
Eveline Meeks 48
Bluford Meeks 4 (Carl Buford Meeks m:Dalpha _____. See 1920 Russell Co., KY)
1910 Russell Co., KY
James C Meeks 58
Evaline Meeks 51
William Meek was born about 1765. He settled in Pulaski Co., KY about August 1797. On August 7, 1798 he was granted 200 acres on south side of Cumberland River on Elk Spring Creek, Certificate #55. On 24 Jun 1800 he assigns certificate #55 to Absalom Bridges.
In 1802 he is taxed on 150 acres on Wolf Creek in Adair County. In 1809 he appears in the tax records of Pulaski. He was listed in the 1810 census of Pulaski Co., KY (0-0-0-1-1ó0-0-0-0-1). He is over 45 years of age. William is paying tax on 100 acres on Wolf Creek lying in Pulaski County for the years 1815 & 1816. This land is certificate #102 that was issued to Nathaniel Meek Sr. on June 23, 1801. Nathaniel was issued a land grant for this certificate on January 27, 1814 that he apparently sold to William sometime in 1814. William was not the son of Nathaniel and there is no reason to believe at this time that they were related. He was listed in the 1820 censuses of Pulaski Co., KY. (0-0-0-0-0-1--0-0-0-0-1). He last appeared in the Pulaski County tax records in 1823.
It is difficult to determine precisely where William lived due to new county formation and changing boundaries. But it is believed that during most of this period he lived in modern day Wayne Co., KY.
Samuel Meek was born about 1788.
He was listed periodically in tax records of Pulaski from 1809. It is not always possible to distinquish between him and Samuel, son of Nathaniel Meek.
Samuel, son of Nathaniel Meek, had left the area by 1815.
He was mentioned as a chainman in two Pulaski County deed records dated 14 Sep 1813.
He was referred to as "Samuel, son of William".
In both cases he was listed with chainman "Samuel Meek, son of Nathan".
He appears in tax lists for Pulaski Co., KY between 1819 and 1825.
He was listed in the 1820 census of Pulaski Co., KY (0-0-0-0-1-0//4-1-0-1-0).
He was listed in the 1830 census of Russell Co., KY (0-0-0-1-0-0-1//0-0-2-3-0-0-1).
He was listed in the 1840 census of Pulaski Co., KY (0-0-0-0-0-0-1//1-0-0-1-2-0-1).
He may be the Samuel Meeks in the 1850 and 1860 censuses of Wayne Co., KY
Disclaimer: This genealogy was prepared by the author using undocumented and/or unverified sources. Some facts presented here MAY NOT be correct. Never accept as factual any information you find in a library, the Internet or from other genealogist unless it is supported by documentation. Documentation DOES NOT include the undocumented genealogies of other people including those on this web site.