13. John Alexander Meek was born on 16 Apr 1790 in Laurens County, SC. Carleton Meek gives year of birth as 1791, in SC. Burkes' "American Families with British Ancestry" gives year of birth as 1790, in Tuscaloosa, AL. He died December 18, 1873, while visiting his son.
He is a Revolutionary Patriot. John Meek was on the list of jurors from Laurens County, SC, on the Little River between Broad and Saludy. ("The Jury Lists of South Carolina 1778-1779" by Hendrix, GeLee Corley, and Morn McKoy Lindsay; Genealogical Publ. Co., Inc., 1980)
"American Families: John Alex Meek" lists birth year as 1790. Another source states: "John Meek died in 1873." Carlton Meek lists year of death 1863. Burkes' "American Families with British Ancestry" lists date of death as 4 Jan 1844, which is obviously an error for this John Alexander Meek, since he is listed in the 1850 and 1860 census. This compiler is of the opinion that 4 Jan 1844 is the date of death of his wife, Elizabeth Forney Webb. (She was not mentioned in the account of the family moving to Arkansas in 1844.)
On June 6, 1828, John Meek, Thos. J. Spraggins, Wm. Payne, John Chappell, (John Meek resides in the state of Ala.) bound unto Moses Taggart Ord. Abbeville Dist. sum $2,000.00. John Meek made guardian of Wm. S., Jas. M., Tabitha F. A. Meek, minors under 14 years of age. (Abstracts of Old Ninety-Six)
He became a Baptist preacher in 1837, and moved to Arkansas in 1844 with three sons, W. S., Samuel, and John, and one daughter, Lavinia, and located in Dallas County. Another daughter, Tabitha, remained in South Carolina. Another son, James Madison Meek, had been the first of the family to move to Arkansas, in 1840.
He later moved to Union Co., AR, and was one of the founders (organizers) of the First Baptist Church in El Dorado, AR in 1845. He supported his family by the practice of medicine, but gave a large amount of time to church work and was one of the leaders of Baptist work in south Arkansas.
He is listed 1850 Census, Union Co., AR, p. 183, age 60, clergyman; reporting 3 children living at home, age 3 to 21 years. He is listed 1860 Census, Union Co., AR, p. 277, age 70, physician, with 2 children living at home.
He married Sarah (Sally) Spraggins on 21 Dec 1809. She was born on 5 Oct 1793 in Laurens Co., SC. She died on 13 Dec 1825 in Laurens Co., SC. John Alexander Meek M. D. and Sarah (Sally) Spraggins had the following children:
- 41. Rev. William Spraggins Meek
- 42. James Madison Meek was born on 11 Aug 1814 in Laurens District, SC. He was placed under the guardianship of John Meek on June 6, 1828. (Box 108, Pack 2970) (Abstracts of Old Ninety-Six and Abbeville District Wills and Bonds, p. 414.) He moved with parents to Tuscaloosa, AL, then in 1840 to Union Co., AR. He became a successful farmer; "in a few years, he owned 1500 acres of land in one body, owned 20 or more Negro slaves, and never owed any man anything." He was a member of the Scotland Presbyterian Church, not far from where Junction City, AR is now.
He is listed 1860 Census, Union Co., AR, Cornie Twp., Three Rivers P. O., p. 201, family 108/127, age 46, SC; wife Julia F., 38, AL; Octavia, 16, AR; Catherine, 14, AR; William, 12, AR; John, 10, AR; James, 6, AR, Alexander, 4, AR; Julia, 7/12, AR. Also listed: Wm. S., 21, AL (Wm. S. is a nephew, the son of Wm. S., Sr.) He died on 6 Jun 1886. He was buried in Junction City, Union, AR.
He married Julia Frances Frazer on 14 Apr 1842 in Union Co, AR. She was born on 1 Dec 1823 in Autauga Co., AL.She died on 14 Mar 1872 in Union Co., AR. She was buried in Junction City, Union, AR. In family cemetery. Surname listed as FRASER in Carleton Meek's genealogy. Some other sources list surname as PHRAZER (Three Centuries of Meeks and Marriage Records of Union Co., AR, Bk A, p.184). FRAZER is used in this work because of the spelling on her grand-daughter Sue Frazer MEEK's cemetery inscription.
- 143. Octavia C. Meek was born on 11 Oct 1843 in Union Co., AR. She died on 7 Jan 1900. She married Julius K. Sheppard on 11 Oct 1860 in Union Co., AR. He was born on 16 May 1839. He died on 1 May 1911. Surname listed as SHEPPARD in "Three Centuries of Meeks" and in another unknown source. Carleton L. Meek, in Meek Genealogy, listed surname as SHEPHERD. Had 14 children; names of only six are known and listed.
- 318. William Moore Sheppard was born in 1868. He died in 1872.
- 319. Nannie K. Sheppard was born in 1870. She died in 1884.
- 320. Julia Sheppard was born in 1872. She died in 1889.
- 321. John Sheppard was born in 1875. He died in 1899.
- 322. Robert L. Sheppard was born in 1877. He died in 1878.
- 323. George Sheppard was born in 1883. He died in 1885.
- 144. Annie Catherine Meek was born on 10 Jul 1845 in Union Co., AR. She died between 8 Jul 1872 and 1877 in Union Co., AR. She was buried in Hopewell Cemetery, Three Creeks, Union, AR. Her name is given as Annie Catherine Meek in an article written by her granddaughters, Annie R. ROYER and Ester R. CORSON, both of El Dorado, AR, for the publication "Arkansas Pioneers and Allied Families", Vol. 1, p. 375, (c) 1976. This compiler accepts that name and spelling.
Another source lists name as Ann Catherine. Carleton L. Meek, in his book "Meek Genealogy", lists name as Nancy Catherine in one place and Nancy Katherine in another. The birth and death dates listed in his work are close, but not in agreement with the later information from her granddaughters. She was called Nannie by her brother, Dr. J. W. Meek, in his autobiography, where he records her death as in 1877. She is listed in 1860 census, Union Co., AR, as Catherine, age 14, in home of parents.
She married James Crawford Reed on 3 Mar 1864 in Union Co., AR. He was born on 17 Apr 1842 in Perry Co., AL. He died on 25 Nov 1911 in Three Creeks, Union, AR. He was buried in Hopewell Cemetery, Three Creeks, Union, AR.
He served in Confederate Army as a private; critically wounded in Battle of Gettysburg, and imprisoned by the Union Army on Governor's Island, NY. Later exchanged for a Union prisoner and given a carriage ride by Union officers to his mother's relatives in Perry Co., AL. After recuperation, he rode a mule from Alabama to Three Creeks, AR. Listed in Muster Roll on July 5, 1861, in Co. G., 3rd Ark. Inf. Regt.
- 324. Luda Reed was born about 1866. She died in probably El Dorado, Union, AR. Living in El Dorado, AR in 1960, age 94.
- 325. Sallie Reed.
- 326. James Meek Reed was born on 15 Apr 1872 in Union Co., AR. He died on 7 Feb 1940 in Union Co, AR. He was buried in El Dorado, Union, AR - Woodlawn Cemetery.
- 145. William Spurgeon Meek was born on 31 May 1848 in AR. He died on 9 Jan 1882. He was buried in Meek Family Cemetery, Union Co., AR. He is listed 1860 Census, Union Co., AR. He was the Pastor of Hopewell Nussibast [sic] Baptist Church, originated in 1844 and situated near Center, AR in Cornie Twp.
He married Elizabeth M. Lauderdale before 1873. [Compiler's remarks: Because pertinent dates are not available, we are listing Elizabeth M. Lauderdale as a first wife of William S. Meek, and are assuming that she died before 1873 and soon after their marriage, and that they had no children. In those days, it would be unusual for a divorced man to be a Baptist minister.] She was born in AL.
He married Josephine P. Morgan in 1873. She was born on 7 Mar 1853. She died on 5 Apr 1888. She was buried in Meek Family Cemetery, Union Co., AR. Cemetery data canvassed by Ralph O. Weldon in May, 1990. Given name also found listed as Joan and Joann.
- 327. Eula Meek was born in 1874.
- 328. Edna Meek was born in 1876.
- 329. Minnie Lou Meek was born in 1878. She married Goerge Holcombe Lacy 5 Oct 1893.
This is the ancestor of P. Ann Glover.
- 330. James Morgan Meek was born on 9 Jul 1879. He died on 21 Apr 1955.
- 331. Julius Meek was born in 1881
- 146. John Walter Meek, M.D. was born on 16 Jan 1850 in Union Co., AR. He died on 31 Mar 1917. He was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Camden, Ouachita Co, AR. Oakland Cemetery is also known as The Old Confederate Cemetery. He is listed 1850 Census, Jackson Twp., Union Co., AR. He graduated March 15, 1870 from New Orleans School of Medicine; moved to Columbus Co., AR in 1871; then to Camden, Ouachita Co., AR in 1878. He was in Arkansas Senate 1889 and 1890. He was a member of the Masonic order, and an elder in the Presbyterian Church of Camden, Ouachita Co., AR.
In 1913, he wrote a detailed autobiography which connects him to his father and siblings. (Source: Tom J. Meek, Jr.)
He married Fannie E. Hampton on 5 Jan 1873. Autobiography of Dr. J. W. Meek lists marriage date as May 1873. She was born on 15 Jul 1854. She died on 2 Nov 1881. Died of typhoid fever. She was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Camden, Ouachita Co., AR.
- 334. Susan Frazer Meek was born on 13 Apr 1874 in Atlanta, Columbia, AR. She died on 26 Apr 1886. She was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Camden, Ouachita Co., AR.
- 335. James Hampton Meek was born on 30 Sep 1876 in Atlanta, Columbia Co., AR. He died in 1951. He was named "partly" for his father's younger brother, James T. Meek.
- A. Thomas J. Meek
- 1. Thomas J. Meek, M.D.
- 336. John Walter Meek was born in Nov 1880 in Camden, Ouachita Co., AR.He died on 24 May 1969. His nick name was “Jack”. He was a banker in Bradley, AR.
Information provided in part by Jay Colvin and John Colvin.
- A. John Walter Meek His nick name was “Jack” like his father. He was a banker in Bradley, AR.
- B. Frances Meek married ______ Baucum.
John Walter Meek married Annie Winfrey on 20 Dec 1883. She was born on 28 Aug 1862. She died on 18 Jan 1944. She was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Camden, Ouachita, AR.
- 332. Albert N. Meek was born on 4 Feb 1885. He died on 16 Nov 1918. He was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Camden, Ouachita, AR. Named for Dr. Albert B. Miles, a distinguished surgeon of New Orleans, who was a desk-mate and close friend of his father.
- 333. Harry Edward Meek was born 10 Dec 1890 in Little Rock, Pulaski, AR. He married Mona Voght. He was an attorney.
- A. Martha Ann Meek married Carlton Lee Garrett.
- 1. David Lee Garrett
- 2. Carol Ann Garrett
- 3. Donald Alfred Garrett
- B. Mary Lavara Meek was born in 1919, in Escanaba, MI. She married Robert Quinlan Conner 21 Oct 1939. He was born 23 Feb 1911 in Cleveland, OH. He died 14 May 1975 in Greenville, SC. They adopted Robert Quinlan Conner (1948-2012) and Deborah Lynn Conner (1950- )
- 147. James T. Meek was born between 1852 and 1854 in Union Co., AR. He died in Feb 1876 in Boerne, Kendall, TX. Middle initial T from an unverified source, which also lists birth year as 1854. Listed 1860 census, Union Co., AR, living at home.
- 148. Alexander B. Meek was born in 1856. He died on 18 Apr 1888. An unverified source lists middle initial B, and birth year as 1857. Lived in Union County, AR. He was married Annie C. Woble on 27 Aug 1878.
- 149. Julia Frazer Meek was born on 4 Jan 1860 in Union Co., AR. She died on 1 May 1895 in Caledonia, Union, AR. She was buried in Meek Family Cemetery, Union Co., AR. She married Hugh A. Mayfield about 1880. He was born in 1858 in Caledonia, Union, AR.
- 43. Tabitha Atkinson Finch Meek was born on 9 Sep 1822 in Laurens District, SC. The birth year is listed as 1832 in Carleton L. Meek's work. However, in the same work he also lists her mother's death date as 1823. This compiler chooses to treat the 1832 birth year as a typographical error, and arbitrarily uses the birth year of 1822. In addition, her marriage date is given as 1839, which would make her 7 years old if the 1832 birth date were correct. She died on 3 Nov 1889 in Cross Hill, Laurens, SC. She was buried in Cross Hill, Laurens, SC. (Liberty Springs Presbyterian Church cemetery.). Her mother died shortly after her birth, and she was reared by her aunt, Mrs. Tabitha Atkinson, for whom she was named. This aunt's surname is listed as ADKINSON in William Spraggins' will. Name listed as Tabitha F. A. Meek, a minor, in June 6, 1828, guardianship papers. She had eleven children. She married Robert Erskine Campbell, M.D. on 9 May 1839 in Edgefield, Edgefield, SC. He was born on 4 Apr 1812 in Cross Hill, Laurens, SC. He died on 9 Dec 1875 in Cross Hill, Laurens, SC. He was buried in Cross Hill, Laurens, SC. [Note: Arkansas Historical Quarterly, Vol. XV, No. 3 (Autumn, 1956), p.262, lists his parents as Dr. Robert and Elizabeth Golding Campbell.]
- 150. Robert Erskine Campbell D.D. married Rebecca Biddle Bishop.
- 343. Rt. Rev. Dr. Robert Erskine Campbell was born on 13 Aug 1884. Educated Princeton University, etc.; D.D.; Bishop of Liberia, 1925-36; Superior Order of the Holy Cross, West Park, NY; Sons of the American Revolution, and other societies.
- 151. Tabitha Atkinson Campbell was born on 25 Nov 1841. She died on 9 May 1908. She married Joseph Jeptha Norton on 29 Mar 1860. He was born on 13 Jun 1835. He died on 20 Jun1896.
John Alexander Meek married Elizabeth J. J. Forney Webb on 17 Jul 1826 in Greene Co., AL. "National Banner & Nashville Whig" lists marriage date as 12 Aug 1826. Elizabeth was born about 1795 in NC. She died on 4 Jan 1844.
(Several sources consulted show 4 Jan 1884 as year of death of John Alexander Meek. This is obviously incorrect, since he married his third wife in 1885. This compiler believes 4 Jan 1844 was mistakenly typed as 1884, and is actually the death date of Elizabeth Forney.) Her given name is most frequently found as Eliza. She was the widow of Judge Henry W. Webb of Eutaw Springs, AL. Another source, Marriage Notices in Nashville [TN] Newspapers, lists her first husband as Henry W. Webb of North Carolina.
"National Banner & Nashville Whig" lists marriage date as August 12, 1826.
- 44. Samuel Thomas Webb Meek was born on 4 Jul 1827 in Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa, AL. He died in 1887 in Drew Co., AR. He came to Union Co., AR about 1849 with his father, two brothers and one sister, and settled near Champagnolle. He is listed 1850 Census, Bradley Co., AR, p. 100, family 174/174, age 23, living in household of his father in law, John T. Cabeen. A Confederate soldier in 19th Ark. Inf. Regiment. [Refer to "American Families: Samuel Thomas Webb Meek of Tuscaloosa, AL."]
He married Myra E. Cabeen in 1848 in Union or Bradley Co., AR. She was born on 20 Jan 1827 in Monroe, *, AL. She died on 15 Jan 1882. Her family was from Johnsville, Bradley, AR, and is listed in the 1850 Census, Bradley Co., AR, p. 100, in the family of her father: John T. Cabeen, 60, farmer, b: SC; Winifred Cabeen, 58, b: SC; Samuel Meek, 23, farmer, b: AL; Mira [sic] E., 23, b: AR; Ellen Franklin, 21, b: AR; Sarah Franklin, 26, b: AR. (Relationship of Ellen Franklin and Sarah Franklin is not known; may be sisters of Winifred Cabeen. If so, Winifred's maiden name was probably Franklin.) They were listed in the 1860 and 1870 censuses of Bradley Co., AR. They were listed in the 1880 census of Carter, Ashley Co., AR.
- 152. Elizabeth Meek was born about 1851 in Arkansas.
- 153. Nancy Meek was born about 1853 in Arkansas.
- 154. John Meek was born about 1855 in Arkansas.
- 154. William Meek was born about 1858 in Arkansas.
- 156. Samuel Thomas Webb Meek was born in 1864. He died in 1919. He married Willeia Pierce. She was born about Dec 1865. They were listed in the 1900 census of Cuyahoga Co., OH. They were listed in the 1910 census of Washington, DC.
- 351. Wilson Meek was born about 1889 in Tennessee.
- 352. Mary C. Meek was born about 1893 in Tennessee.
- 353. Robert L. Meek was born about 1898 in Tennessee.
- 354. Samuel Williams Meek was born on 22 Sep 1895. He died 15 Aug 1981. He married Priscilla McKnight Mitchel 14 Oct 1921. She was born 15 Aug 1899. She was the grandaughter of Ormsby Macknight Mitchel, Union Army General and astronomer. He was the director of Time, Fortune, and Life magazines; director of J. Walter Thompson Co. (advertising agency) and J. B. Williams Co.; Director Greenwich Time; Trustee Empire City Savings Bank. Educated at Yale University (B.A., 1917). He was a member of the Advertising Hall of Fame. His residence: The Chimneys, Dublin Road, Greenwich, CT
- 401. Samuel Williams Meek Jr. was born 9 May 1925 in Port Chester, NY. He married Joanne Lauder (divorced)
- 501. Samuel Williams Meek III was born 11 Apr 1955 in New York, NY.
- A. Samuel Williams Meek IV
- 502. Dorothy Lyles Meek
- 503. Jeannine Marsion Meek
- 504. Florence Elizabeth Meek was born in 1959 in Greenwich, CN.
- 402. Elizabeth Meek
- 403. Susan C. Meek
- 404. Priscilla Meek
- 405. Jeremy Meek died young.
- 355. Dorothy L. Meek was born about 1903 in Ohio.
- 45. John Alexander Meek was born about 1829 in AL. He came to Union Co., AR with his father about 1849. Settled near Champagnolle. He is listed 1850 Census, Union County, AR, p. 183, age 21, living at father's home. He is listed 1860 Census, Union County, AR, Franklin Twp., P. O. Champagnolle, p. 270, family 413/363, age 31; Virginia Meek, age 25, AL; Henry Meek, age 5, AR: Gurty Meek, 3, AR; Infants m & f, 1/12, AR. Also in household: Basil Meek, age 17, AL. (Probably Basil Manley Meek, his nephew).
He was an officer in the Confederate Army, Captain in the 19th Ark. Reg, Infantry, and was in the Battle of Vicksburg. At the close of the war, he was Senior Captain in the 19th Ark. Regt., Inf., under Col. Horatio Williams.
- 155. Henry Meek was born in 1855 in AR.
- 156. Gurty Meek was born in 1857 in AR.
- 157. Infant Meek was born about 1860 in Union County, AR.
- 158. Infant Meek was born about 1860 in Union County, AR.
John A. Meek married Mary Harvill on 18 Apr 1865 in Union Co., AR. Listed in marriage record as Capt. John A. Meek, age 35. Married at the residence of Green Newton, Esq. She was born about 1844. Listed as age 21 in marriage record. Maiden name may be Harwell.
- 46. Lavinia C. T. Meek was born in 1836 in AL. She came with her father to Union Co., AR about 1849, settling near Champagnolle. She is listed 1850 census Union Co., AR, p. 183, as L. C. T., age 14, born AL, living at home. She lived in Monroe, LA in 1917. She married Harry Williams Sr. in Bradley Co., AR.
John Alexander Meek married Eliza Jane Vincent on 12 Jun 1845 in Union Co., AR. Marriage performed "at house of Mrs. Vincin." It is not known if she had been married previously, or if the "Mrs. Vincin" was her mother. She was born about 1819. She died after 1870. She is listed 1850 Census, Union Co., AR, p. 183, family 803/792 as Eliza J., wife of John Meek, age 33, born NC. He is listed 1860 Census, Union Co., AR, Franklin Twp., Champagnolle P.O., p. 277, family 460/460, as Eliza J., age 43, born NC.
- 47. Sarah E. Meek was born in 1847. She died after 1870. She is listed 1850 Census, Union Co., AR, p. 183, age 3, living at home. She is listed 1860 Census, Union Co,, AR, p. 277, age 13, living at home. She married William J. Amason on 2 Nov 1865 in Union Co., AR. Marriage date also listed as 26 Nov 1865 in same source.
- 48. Ellen Winiford Meek was born about 1853. She is listed 1860 Census, Union Co., AR, p. 277, as Ellen, age 7, living at home. She was married to Paulus B. Jenny on 17 Jul 1873. Ellen Winiford Meek and Paulus B. Jenny had the following children:
- 49. Nancy Meek
Disclaimer: This genealogy was prepared by the author using undocumented and/or unverified sources. Some facts presented here MAY NOT be correct. Never accept as factual any information you find in a library, the Internet or from other genealogist unless it is supported by documentation. Documentation DOES NOT include the undocumented genealogies of other people including those on this web site.
Information provided in part by Dell L. and Carolyn Meek Nelson