2. John Meek was born in Nov 1745 in County Antrim, Ireland. He died on 26 Dec 1803 in Ninety-Six, Laurens Co., SC.
Burke's "American Families With British Ancestry" lists William John Meek as the earliest American ancestor, and states that he emigrated to SC in 1774. "Meek Genealogy," by Carleton Meek, lists this person simply as John Meek (D-3). The first genealogy about this family known to this author was A Meek Genealogy, 1902, by H. B. Meek. Mr. Meek's sources are unknown. Carleton Meek copied the work of H. B. Meek although he added some additional branches. Both authors have been discredited on the main focus of their books, the descendants of Jacob Meek, son of Adam Meek. There is no reason to trust them as a source for John's ancestors.
John Meek served in the Revolutionary War under Gen. Francis Marion. He was listed 1790 Census, Laurens Co., SC, Ninety-Six District, p. 71.
His will, where his surname is spelled Meeks, is dated December 13, 1802, proven 6 Apr 1803, File #49-5, Probate Judge Office, Laurens, SC (Will in Book C1, p. 44, SC Archives, Columbia, SC.) This will, with his wife 'Ellinor' as a joint executor with Charles C. Neall and William Rowe, lists "Meek, Jno. -- children William, Betty, Nancy, Jenny, Samuel, John and James to share equally as they marry." ("South Carolinians in the Revolution," by Ervin, p. 162.)
He married Eleanor Mills in 1776 in Laurens Co., SC. She was born on 3 Jan 1748 in County Antrim, Ireland. She died in 1823 in Laurens District, SC. John Meek and Eleanor Mills had the following children:
- 11. William Meek was born on 24 Feb 1777 in Laurens District, SC. He died in 1804 in Laurens Co., SC. He never married.
- 12. Elizabeth (Betsey) Meek was born on 21 Mar 1779 in Laurens Co., SC. Carleton Meek lists year of birth as 1770. This is considered a typographical error. She died in 1824 in Newberry, Newberry, SC. She married John Atkinson about 1797. He was born in Newberry, SC.
- 13. Agnes (Nancy) Meek was born on 12 Aug 1781 in Laurens District, SC. She died in 1804 in Laurens Co., SC. Called Nancy in her father's will. She married Charles O'Neal M.D. in 1803. He died after 1862 in Laurens Co., SC. He was named an executor of his father-in-law's will, dated 13 Dec 1802, where his surname is spelled O'Neall. This date is prior to his marriage date shown.
- 14. Jane (Jenny) Meek was born on 9 Jan 1784 in Laurens District, SC. Source gives birth year 1873 in another place. She died in Greene Co., AL. Called Jenny in her father's will. She married David Hitt on 14 Mar 1803.
- 15. Samuel Mills Meek M. D. was born on 20 Aug 1786 in Laurens District, SC. He died on 27 May 1846 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL. He was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Tuscaloosa Co., AL. He was a physician and a Methodist minister. Lived in Charleston and Columbia, SC, Milledgeville, GA, and moved to Tuscaloosa, AL in 1819, where he also owned an apothecary shop.
He married Ann Arabella McDowell on 19 May 1813 in Charleston, Charleston, SC. She was born on 11 Feb 1796 in Charleston, SC. She died on 13 Jun 1853. She is listed 1850 Census, Tuscaloosa Co., AL, p. 305, as Ann A. Meek, head of household, with children Caroline, Samuel, Henry, and B. F. Meek. The will of Mrs. Ann A. Meek was dated 2 Jan 1852 and filed for probate 14 Nov 1853 (Book 1, p. 333); it lists "only daughter Elizabeth Jane; son Alexander." [Compiler's Note: We show other children also living then.]
- 31. Alexander Beaufort Meek was born on 17 Jul 1814 in Columbia, SC. He died on 1 Nov 1865 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. His baptismal middle name was Alexander Black Meek, but he changed it. Middle name also found spelled Beauford. Prominent orator, lawyer, statesman. Held office of Attorney General of Alabama by appointment of Gov. Clay. Member of the House of Representatives for several terms; judge of Probate Court in Tuskaloosa [sic]. In 1845 he was appointed by President Polk as assistant secretary of the U. S. Treasury. About 1847, he was commissioned federal attorney for the southern district of Alabama, a position he held until the end of President Polk's term. He then came to reside in Mobile, and was associate editor of the Mobile Register newspaper. Shortly before his sudden death, he had removed to Columbus, MS. Though twice married, he left no children.
He married Emma D. Clacker-Slater on 3 Sep 1856 in Mobile, AL. She was born on 19 Nov 1816. She died on 30 Aug 1863 in Mobile, AL. Thomas Campbell list month of death as June. Last name listed as Slatter in "History of Mobile County" [AL], p. 422.
He married Eliza Jane Cannon on 24 Sep 1864 in Columbus, MS. She was born on 10 Feb 1819 in Darlington, SC. She died on 15 Dec 1901. According to Thomas Campbell, her maiden and married surname was Cannon.
- 32. Mary Ann Ellen Meek was born on 16 Oct 1816. She died on 26 Sep 1821. Also found listed as Mary Alice Ellen Meek.
- 33. Elizabeth Jane Meek was born on 19 Jan 1819 in Tuscaloosa, AL. She died after Jan 1852 (date of mother's will.) She married Alexander Glascock on 26 Jul 1854 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL. He was born on 19 Jan 1819 in Tuscaloosa, AL. He died on 20 Feb 1857 in Lauderdale, MS.
- 34. John William Meek was born on 6 Nov 1822 in Tuscaloosa,AL. He died on 1 May 1851 in Carrollton, Pickens, AL. Graduated University of Alabama at age 18. Unmarried.
- 35. Caroline Mary Meek was born on 26 Dec 1825 in Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa, AL. She died on 28 Sep 1851 in Tuscaloosa, AL. Listed 1850 Census, Tuscaloosa Co., AL, as b: 1830, AL (p. 305 under household of Ann A. Meek).
- 36. Julia Arabella Meek was born on 7 Sep 1828 in Tuscaloosa, AL. She died on 24 Jul 1851 in Tuscaloosa, AL. School teacher, Selma, AL; unmarried.
- 37. Henry Francis Meek was born on 4 Oct 1833 in Tuscaloosa, AL. He died in 1856 in Lauderdale, MS. Listed 1850 Census, Tuscaloosa Co., AL, p. 305, in household of Ann A. Meek, as b. 1833, AL. (Thomas Campbell gives 1837 as year of birth.)
- 38. Samuel Mills Meek Jr. was born on 11 Nov 1835 in Tuscaloosa, AL. He died on 24 Dec 1901 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. Thomas Campbell lists date of death as 21 Dec 1901. Listed 1850 Census, Tuscaloosa Co., AL, p. 305, in household of Ann A. Meek, as b. 1831 in AL. He was an attorney, admitted to the bar in 1854. Held several state offices, and was a state senator at time of death. (Source cited does not specify state; probably Mississippi.)
He married Mary Louise Cannon (daughter of Eliza Jane Cannon) on 19 Aug 1856. She was born on 1 Jul 1838. She died on 25 Dec 1901 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS.
- 124. William Cannon Meek was born on 21 May 1857. He died on 27 Feb 1923 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. He married Mary Eloise (Elise) Hopkins on 6 Nov 1899 in Fort Gibson, MS. ("Three Centuries of Meeks" lists marriage as 4 Nov 1891, in Claiborne, MS.) She was born on 28 Sep 1846. She died on 15 Mar 1915. She was buried in Clairborne Co., MS - Wintergreen Cemetery. Name listed as Mary Elsie in Carleton L. Meek's "Meek Genealogy", and Mary Elise by Thomas Campbell. She was of Port Gibson, MS.
- 125. Florence Meek was born on 19 Jun 1859. She died on 19 Jun 1859 in Columbus, St. Clair, MI.
- 126. Irene Meek was born on 4 Feb 1861 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. She died on 4 Feb 1861 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS.
- 127. Lillian Annie Meek was born on 12 Mar 1862. She died in Apr 1862.
- 128. Alice Alabama Meek was born on 22 Apr 1863 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. She died on 29 Dec 1901.
- 129. Alexander Beaufort Meek III was born on 17 Nov 1865 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. He died on 18 Nov 1914 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. He was married to Matilda Marguerite Seth on 15 Sep 1891. Matilda Marguerite Seth was born on 13 Jul 1872 in Galveston, TX. She died on 17 Aug 1894 in Paris, Lamar, TX. Of Paris, TX. Alexander Beaufort Meek III and Matilda Marguerite Seth had the following children:
- 130. Susan Elizabeth Meek was born on 25 Mar 1868 in Nashville, Davidson, TN. She died on 15 Aug 1928. She married Robert L. Bolton on 19 Jun 1905. He was born in Oct 1867. He died on 1 Apr 1906. Of Nashville, TN.
- 131. Mary Erwin Meek was born on 14 Jan 1869 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. She died on 14 Jan 1869 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS.
- 132. Samuel McDowell Meek was born on 10 Dec 1870 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. He died in 1941. He married Mrs. Sadie Reid Ray on 7 Nov 1920. She was born in 1870. She died in 1941.
- 133. Carrie Amelia Meek. was born on 12 Jun 1873. She died on 26 Mar 1948. She compiled a large part of the Meek family genealogy, which was the basis of both Carlton L. Meek's and Thomas Campbell's publications. She married Battle E. Sessums on 8 Jan 1902. He was born on 1 Oct 1875. He died on 6 Sep 1944. Of Columbus, MS.
- 134. Julia Adair Meek was born on 24 Jan 1876. She died on 10 Feb 1953 in Columbus, Lowndes, MS. She married James Madison Gerety M.D. on 21 Sep 1904. He was born on 1 Oct 1875. He died on 8 Oct 1904.
- 39. Benjamin Franklin Meek was born on 20 Sep 1836 in Tuscaloosa, AL. Thomas Campbell gives 1839 as year of birth. He died on 16 Jun 1899. Listed 1850 Census, Tuscaloosa Co., AL, p. 305, in household of Ann A. Meek, as B. F., b. 1836, AL. He was professor of Latin and Greek at University of Alabama for many years.
- 40. Florence Amelia Meek was born on 10 Dec 1839 in Tuscaloosa, AL. (Thomas Campbell gives 1841 as year of birth.) She died on 18 Nov 1841 in Tuscaloosa Co., AL.
- 16. John Alexander Meek M. D. was born on 16 Apr 1790 in Laurens Co., SC.
- 17. James W. Meek M.D. was born on 10 Feb 1794 in Laurens Co., SC. He died on 21 Dec 1856 in Attala Co., MS. He was buried in Harmonia Cemetery. He moved from AL in 1833. Listed 1850 Census, Attala Co., MS with children."The Heart of the South" lists two other children: "John, who died in boyhood; Dr. William Meek, who practiced medicine for many years near Pickens and in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, where he died, leaving a large family;"He married Mary (Polly) Wyche on 5 Nov 1815. Married by Rev. Christ, near Sallis, MS or Jones Co., GA. She was born on 24 Nov 1797 in SC. She died on 13 Dec 1888 in Attala Co., MS. She was buried in Harmonia Cemetery. Her parents were Batt Wyche and Mary Jarrett.
- 50. John Meek died young.
- 51. William H. Meek was born about 1821 in Alabama. He appeared in the 1850 census of Winston Co., MS with wife Nancy age 26. It is not proven that this is the son of James.
- 164. Mary Meek was born about 1847 in Alabama.
- 165. James Meek was born about 1850 in Mississippi.
- 52. May A. Meek was born about 1823 in AL. She married William McCormick 25 May 1854 in Attala Co., MS. The "large family" lived near Camden, MS.
- 53. Caroline Ellen Meek was born in 1824 in AL. She married William White.
- 54. Liddy A. Meek was born 2 Aug 1825 in AL. She died 1 Jun 1881 in Attala Co., MS. She married James Harmon.
- 55. Lucinda G. Meek was born 2 Aug 1825 in AL. She died 6 Aug 1902 in Attala Co., MS. She was unmarried.
- 56. Sarah Wyche Meek was born in 1828 in AL. She married William W. McAtee. He was born 09 Jan 1801. He died 25 Feb 1875. William is buried in Seneasha Cemetery, Newport, Attala Co MS. This is the family of Reed McAtee.
- 57. James J. Meek was born in 1829 in AL. He died in 1890 in Warren Co., AR. He married (2) Katherine Elmira Franklin.
- 58. John B. W. Meek was born in 1832 in AL. He died in 1862 in VA while in the Confederate Army.
- 59. Robert T. Meek was born 2 Feb 1834 Tuscaloosa Co., AL. He died 14 Oct 1907 in Attala Co., MS.He married Nancy Adeline Brown.
- 60. George Wyche Meek was born 2 Apr 1836 in AL. He died in 1915. He served throughout the Civil War in the Confederate Army. He married Sarah Ann Simmons 11 Apr 1867. She was born 16 Aug 1846in MS. She died 23 Dec 1907.
- 161. William Edward Meek was born on 21 Jan 1868 in Kosciusko, Attala, MS. Mayor of Goodman, Holmes Co., MS for several years.
- 162. David Adolphus Meek Sr.
- 163. Lonnie Meek. Lonnie was a nickname. He lived in Goodman, MS.
- 61. Susan Patience Meek was born in 1838 in AL. She died 27 Apr 1881 in Attala Co., MS. She married Rev. W. A. Ross in Attala Co., MS.
- 62. Junius S. Meek was born in 1840 in AL. He died in Gettysburg.
- 63. Emma J. Meek was born in 1842 in AL. She died 23 Jan 1859.
Disclaimer: This genealogy was prepared by the author using undocumented and/or unverified sources. Some facts presented here MAY NOT be correct. Never accept as factual any information you find in a library, the Internet or from other genealogist unless it is supported by documentation. Documentation DOES NOT include the undocumented genealogies of other people including those on this web site.
Information provided in part by Dell L. and Carolyn Meek Nelson